Hands-on technology executive with experience defining corporate
technical vision, strategy, and direction and leading engineering teams
to execute on that strategy. Strong software engineering and system
administration skills practiced in prominent roles in the engineering,
information technology, and business development departments, each time
bringing the highest level of expertise and leadership to projects.
- Proofpoint, Inc.,
October, 2013 to present
- CTO, Messaging and InfoSec Operations
October, 2013 to present
- Sendmail, Inc.,
March, 1998 to October, 2013 (Acquired by Proofpoint, Inc.)
- Vice President, Cloud Enablement & Chief Technology Officer
September, 2012 to October, 2013
- Ownership of the definition and technology execution of Sendmail's cloud vision, driving the services technology and product offerings to augment Sendmail's existing on-premises infrastructure components.
- Determine, design, and develop cloud enablers to increase interoperability between on-premises Sentrion appliances and cloud-based services.
- Identify and specify product needs for Sendmail's managed services.
- Evangelism of Sendmail's cloud strategy, offerings, and technology vision.
- Executive ownership of Sendmail's global Data Center/IT Operations and Hardware Engineering.
- Vice President, Chief Technology Officer
November, 2008 to October, 2013
- Ownership of technical vision and direction portions of Sendmail's corporate strategy.
- Investigate, document, and present internal executive and staff briefings on new technology directions.
- Stay abreast of relevant market developments and competitive technology movement.
- Prepare and deliver customer, analyst, and internal product, technology, roadmap, and vision briefings.
- Collaborate with Chief Architect on engineering product architecture, design, and implementation.
- Thought leadership through white papers, blogging, and tweeting.
- Technical responsibility for third party product and OEM selection.
- Participate in relevant standards activities (e.g., IETF and M3AAWG).
- Second level technology support for product development.
- Ownership of intellectual property for patents, trademarks, and copyrights, including filings, registration, litigation support, and oversight.
- Owner and point of contact for FIPS 140-2 validation effort.
- Participate in Performance Task Force to identify, measure, and improve performance related attributes of Sendmail's Sentrion MP appliance.
- Manage technology resources including milter.org for Milter developers, sendmail.org for the open source community, and SMTP interoperability and sender authentication testing services.
- Vice President, Engineering & Chief Technology Officer
September, 2009 to December, 2011
- Ownership of the on-time development and support of products on the roadmap that are easy to install and use, robust, scalable and are defined by the quarterly themes and stories generated by Product Marketing.
- Implemented Agile development methodology using a mixture of XP, Kanban, and Scrum techniques.
- Lead the effort to replace aging Sentrion MP 3.1 appliance with MP 4.X appliance releases enabling an integration platform with support for third party enhancements and featuring enterprise class features such as host, site, and cluster level reporting; full multi-cluster configuration, management, and deployment capabilities; configuration revision control; disaster recovery; unified UI with audit logging; and modular deployment.
- Delivered three legacy software releases, seven Sentrion MP 3.1 appliance release, and eight Sentrion MP 4.X appliance releases.
- Lead a talented Engineering team (development, QA, and management) with an initial 27 full time employees in the US and 16 contractors in India. Grew the team to 37 full time employees and 3 contractors in the US after terminating India outsourcing program while maintaining a very low involuntary attrition rate.
- Created a set of Engineering metrics for reporting progress in improving product release quality, content, and delivery.
- Implemented a per-release product hardening iteration that grew automated test suite by over 40%.
- Participated in product roadmap planning and presentation with Product Marketing.
- Provided Tier 3 customer support; product launch support; and technical knowledge transfer to Product Management, Sales Engineers, and Messaging Architects.
- Responsible for technical relationship with partners and technical sign-off on OEM partner products.
- Chief Architect
November, 2007 to November, 2008
- Responsible for the product as a whole and the important design
decisions that ensure the product's functional integrity.
- Ensure that high-level requirements are consistent, complete,
correct, and operationally defined.
- Ensure that components integrate and interact correctly and identify
potential design flaws before they become a problem.
- Review and validate all design specifications.
- Key decision maker for the architecture and design changes based on
feedback from the field, engineering, and executive management.
- Research future product needs.
- Provide feedback to product marketing for future product
- Assess functionality requirements based on preliminary marketing
- Advise VP/Engineering in implementation of engineering processes
with regards to specifications and engineering best practices.
- Resource for engineer questions and mentoring.
- Director, Strategic Technology
November, 2006 to October, 2007
- Evaluate, analyze, and perform technical assessment on potential
partners and products for integration with Sendmail's offerings.
- Provide technical research for possible product creation or
- Provide technical assistance to VP, Business Development for all
technology partnerships as needed and assist the field with any
partner product research or competitive information.
- Interface with partners for technical presentations and lab
- Make recommendations for product roadmap and product design to
Product Marketing and Engineering.
- Security Officer
April, 2006 to October, 2013
- Triage security incidents and determine security impact.
- Act as the first point of contact, for coordinating and managing any
necessary communication with the open source community and
- Contact and communicate with external security groups (e.g., CERT).
- Produce and publish security advisories and security notes.
- Senior Network Security Administrator
November, 2002 to November, 2006
- Configure, troubleshoot, and manage network and security
infrastructure including UNIX/Linux and Windows systems; local and
remote office networks; Checkpoint FW-1, Cisco IOS, ipf, and ipfw
firewalls; Checkpoint VPN-1 server; email and LDAP infrastructure;
and RSA SecurID.
- Hardware specification, installation, and troubleshooting including
UNIX/Linux servers, Network Appliance file servers, various
appliances, and network gear.
- Beta testing Sendmail, Inc. software in production before general
release to customers.
- External product evaluation for both production use and potential
- Help plan for system requirements, security issues, etc., for new
projects as they come up.
- Maintain CVS and Perforce source repositories and Bugzilla bug
- Principal Engineer
July, 2000 to November, 2002
- Continue role as lead engineer and MTA engineer.
- Act as a major technical resource to others in the company.
- Participate in Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF) on behalf of Sendmail.
- Lead Engineer
November, 1998 to July, 2000
- Continue role as MTA engineer while providing support and advice to
- Assist engineering managers in project design and planning.
- MTA Engineer
March, 1998 to November, 1998
- Software engineer for sendmail, an Internet standards-based mail
transfer agent (MTA).
- Design and implement a web-based graphical user interface for
configuration and administration of sendmail.
- Coordinate alpha and beta tests of both open source and commercial
- Provide on-going support to open source sendmail users via the Sendmail
- Worcester Polytechnic
Center, Worcester, MA
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator,
Academic Systems Integrator
June 1992 to February, 1998
- UNIX system administration including performing operating system upgrades
and configuration, maintaining system and network security, installing
software packages, and providing a homogeneous environment to the over
4200 users on 200+ computer systems.
Consortium, Berkeley, CA
December 1996 to present
- Assist in development of sendmail, including locating and fixing bugs,
integrating modifications, and contributing new functionality.
- Provide technical support to users with sendmail related problems
and questions via the e-mail support addresses.
- Assist in supporting the sendmail web pages and sendmail
frequently asked questions
- Perform alpha and beta testing of all open source sendmail releases as
well as discuss future directions for sendmail.
- sendmail, 4th Edition by Bryan Costales, Claus Aßmann,
George Jansen, and Gregory Neil Shapiro.
Published by O'Reilly & Associates
- sendmail 8.13 Companion by Bryan Costales, Gregory Neil Shapiro,
Claus Aßmann, and George Jansen.
Published by O'Reilly & Associates.
- Domain Name Reseller
February, 2000 to present
- Provide domain name registrations, transfers via a private registry.
- Assist with or provide DNS setup and e-mail virtual hosting.
- FreeBSD Committer
July, 2000 to present
- Primary responsibility is maintaining sendmail and associated
infrastructure in FreeBSD.
- Commit fixes to other userland applications.
- University of
California, Berkeley, CA
Introduction to UNIX Kernel Internals
World, Framingham, MA
CEU in Analyzing Broadband Networks: Implementing ATM, Frame Relay, and
March 15, 1995
Languages and System Skills
- C, Perl, UNIX system and network programming, shell scripts, HTML,
- DNS, LDAP, NFS, TCP/IP, (E)SMTP, firewalls, VPN, and systems
- UNIX/Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows 2000/XP.
- Computer hardware including Sun workstations, generic PC hardware,
and Apple Macintoshes.
- Familiar with various application packages running under UNIX/Linux,
Windows, and Macintosh OS X.
Last modified: Tuesday, January 27, 2015